Home  
Questions? Call Us @ 800-518-9835 orEmail Us
Cart: 0 items
My Account
Mon - Thur 7am - 5pm Central; Friday 7am - 4pm

Veteran
Owned
Join Our
Newsletter
Subscribe
Unsubscribe
Ceiling Products: Ceiling Tiles   Grid (T-Bar) & Covers   Ceiling Fan   Vents & Returns   LED Lights   & More

Home > Resources and Information > Ceiling Tiles and Health Issues
 

Ceiling Tiles and Health Issues

You may not realize you have mold growing in your ceiling until it is too late. It starts in most ceilings from any kind of leak or even just condensation. Once you notice mildew odor or see water spots on your ceiling tiles you already have mold growing. Mold can cause SBS (Sick Building Syndrome) and reduces indoor air quality.

Since most of the ceiling tiles in use today (acoustical) are porous fiber board, they are prone to water spots and sagging, making them a prime location to grow mold and mildew as well as harbor bacteria.

Indoor Air Quality is eveyone's concern. Our 100% waterproof ceiling tiles are not susceptible to these problems and provide a long term solution.


Bacteria

It has been proven that your standard Acoustic Ceiling Tiles will become breeding grounds for bacteria, fungi and microbes. As your A/C and Heating use and reuse the air, the contaminants in the air (dirt, dust, mold spores, etc.) build up and deposit in the surrounding surfaces. Porous, Fibrous Ceiling Tiles are ready made to accumulate these contaminants and breed problems such as Rhizopus and Paecilomyces, both are known allergens and classified by OSHA as agents for allergic reactions in people.


Mold and Mildew

mold in ceiling
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health effects

Main article: Mold health issues
Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.
Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. Some studies claim that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily home exposure, may be particularly harmful. Research on the health effects of mold has not been conclusive.[13] The term "toxic mold" refers to molds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, and not to all molds in general.[14] These toxic properties may also be used to the benefit of humans e.g. penicillin from Penicillium and so on. In low doses these toxins that could otherwise be deadly can be controlled to our benefit to fight off infection.

Mold in the home can usually be found in damp, dark or steamy areas e.g. bathroom or kitchen, cluttered storage areas, recently flooded areas, basement areas, plumbing spaces, areas with poor ventilation and outdoors in humid environments. Symptoms caused by mold allergy are watery, itchy eyes, a chronic cough, headaches or migraines, difficulty breathing, rashes, tiredness, sinus problems, nasal blockage and frequent sneezing.

Sign up for our Mailing List to get the latest Announcements, Sales and Discounts, Industry News, and other information.
The Original Maintenance Free Ceiling Engineered for a Lifetime


Veteran Owned Business

Credit Card Merchant